The aim of this pathway is to:
- reduce unnecessary referrals to the hospital eye service
- reduce patient anxiety and increase capacity within the overburdened hospital glaucoma clinics
- provide a more cost effective service with a greater number of patients being managed within the primary care setting
Latest news and updates about the glaucoma/OHT pathway
- April 2009: The pathway has been updated to reflect NICE guidelines on glaucoma ensuring that there is no contradiction between requirements of NICE and the pathways. This guidance is supported by the Optical Bodies: AOP, ABDO and FODO who have issued joint advice.
- June 2010: The pathways for intraocular pressure (IOP) refinement was revised to incorporate joint advice from the College of Optometrists and the Royal College of Ophthalmologists on referral for patients with raised intra-ocular pressure (the updated pathway also contains helpful guidance on training and accreditation).
LOCSU support for the pathway
LOCSU has developed a range of downloadable support for practitioners who want to introduce these pathways in their area including:
- LOCSU Glaucoma Repeat Readings and OHT Monitoring pathway
- LOCSU Glaucoma Repeat Readings Level 1 business case*
- LOCSU Glaucoma Repeat Readings Level 1 service specification*
- LOCSU OHT Monitoring Level 2 business case*
- LOCSU OHT Monitoring Level 2 service specification*
- LOCSU Glaucoma Repeat Readings and OHT Monitoring Referral form*
- Electronic Reporting System for repeated pressures*
Please click here or above for the glaucoma repeat readings and OHT monitoring pathway
*Please note that the supporting documents are only available by logging in to the members only area - please contact your LOC for the log in details, via their website at: www.loc-net.org.uk/ (if there is no website, and you don't have contact details, please contact us).