There are currently 1.8 million people living with sight loss in the UK. (Future Sight Loss, RNIB 2008).
Our pathway offers adults with sight loss, quicker access to a low vision assessment and support closer to home. In particular, community optical pathway for an Adult Low Vision enhanced service is designed to:
- reduce unnecessary referrals to the hospital low vision service
- reduce patient anxiety and increase capacity within the overburdened hospital clinic
- provide a more cost effective service with a greater number of patients being managed within the primary care setting
- high quality low vision assessment, information and clinical support, and
- where appropriate, low vision aids (LVAs), daily living aids and follow-up in a community setting in a convenient location for them
- provide accredited theoretical training which supports the pathway (jointly designed by the WOPEC and LOCSU to ensure successful delivery of the pathway
How has this pathway been developed?
LOCSU's Clinical Advisory Group has developed this pathway, in consultation with visual impairment charities and patients, to be delivered by both optometrists and dispensing opticians working in community optical practice.
You can read more information in our press release here.
LOCSU support for the pathway
LOCSU has developed a range of downloadable support for practitioners, who want to introduce these pathways in their area, including:
- LOCSU Community Optical Pathway for an Adult Low Vision Enhanced Service pathway
- LOCSU Community Optical Pathway for an Adult Low Vision Enhanced Service business case*
- LOCSU Community Optical Pathway for an Adult Low Vision Enhanced Service service specification*
- LOCSU Community Optical Pathway for an Adult Low Vision Enhanced Service Report form*
- theoretical training developed in conjunction with WOPEC*
*Please note that the supporting documents are only available by logging in to the members only area - please contact your LOC for the log in details, via their website at: www.loc-net.org.uk/ (if there is no website, and you don't have contact details, please contact us).