LOCSU's Leadership Skills for Optical Professionals, is a 20-credit postgraduate module, and part of WOPEC’s MSc programme at Cardiff University.
This course is designed to enable the practising optical professional to become an effective leader at local and national level within the optical sector through the support and development of LOCs and LEHNs, building effective strategic networks, influencing policy makers and enhancing eye health services for patients.
It provides an understanding of current leadership models and theoretical approaches and will give delegates the background knowledge and practical skills that will equip them to provide leadership in the optical sector.
The LOCSU Leadership Module is open to optometrists with a BSc in Optometry and opticians who are FBDO-qualified.
Important Dates for the 2017 course
24 and 25 April 2017 (London)
The assessment requirements from 2017 are detailed below:
This module will be assessed in two ways:
1. A weekly leader’s weblog which is 60% of your final mark
2. An essay assignment which is 40% of your final mark
Your leader blog will be 60% of your final mark.You will be required to write a weekly blog. One blog per fortnight (identified by you) and a minimum of 6 blogs over the period of the course will each count as 10% of your final mark. Feedback will be provided to each student on each blog post to support continuous improvement.
Blogs will be marked using the following assessment criteria:
- Reflection on content and practice
Your blog needs to demonstrate that you have reflected on the leadership topics covered within the course and your application of the content to your own leadership role/s in the optical sector. We expect to see some progression of ideas and confidence in relating your thinking to your leadership role/s over the course of the module.
- You need to be posting at least one blog per week during the course
- Writing style
The blog needs to be written in an engaging style which communicates your message and leadership role/s.
Essay Assignment (1500 words +/- 10%)
You can choose any topic from the leadership course to explore further in your assignment. We are looking for evidence of practical application in your assignment, this could be via participation in your LOC or employer meetings/working groups, or leading a project for your LOC or employer.
- You attend a meeting to discuss a commissioning/business opportunity for your LOC/employer. Use your assignment to critically analyse the strategies discussed and your contribution.
- You volunteer to lead a group for your LOC/employer. Use your assignment to reflect on your leadership of the group, the team dynamics and any outcomes achieved.
- Lead a piece of work for your LOC/employer on one of the following: succession planning, developing talent through coaching and mentoring, engagement with stakeholders.
This is a written essay in which you will be expected to critically analyse the key concepts and literature you discuss. You also need to demonstrate practical application of the ideas you discuss within one of your leadership role/s.
Applications for 2017 course
We are delighted to announce that LOCSU will be funding up to 10 places on the 2017 cohort. We are particularly interested to hear from optical professionals who meet one of the following:
- LOC officers or committee members with a keen interest in leadership
- Optical professionals with a keen interest in leadership, and supporting their optical community
Closing date for receipt of applications is Monday 9th January at 5pm.
Interviews will be conducted by Conference Call on Monday 16th and Tuesday 17th January 2017. Please indicate which date you will be available for when you send in your application form.
If you have any questions about the content of the course, then please contact email@example.com.