LOCSU has been working with all Optical Sector bodies, including the OFNC, throughout the Covid-19 pandemic.
The OFNC (Optical Fees Negotiation Committee) is comprised of the national representative bodies and is in close touch with NHS England-NHS Improvement, DHSC, the College of Optometrists, the GOC and LOCSU.
On 17th June it was announced that the full range GOS services can be provided again, subject to infection prevention and control measures.
The latest guidance on Covid-19 funding for Optical Practices is available here (Oct 2020).
A new Covid-19 Urgent Eyecare Service (CUES) was announced in April, to ensure that patients can access urgent care during the pandemic. Read full details here.
Two podcasts covering CUES are available:
PPE is now available to Optical Practices via the NHS. The range of PPE previously available for purchase from primaryeyecaresupplies.co.uk is now available from Greenmaple, working in partnership with Primary Eyecare Services and LOCSU.
Other Sources of Current Guidance
General Coronavirus advice for clinicians:
The College of Optometrists are hosting an FAQ which can be found at:
Further advice can be found on government and NHS websites:
- UK government
- Public Health England
- Novel coronavirus: guidance for health professionals
- Novel coronavirus: guidance for primary care
- Novel coronavirus: guidance to assist professionals in advising the general public
- World Health Organisation
Remote Operating Support
The government’s social distancing policy, as well as many people self-isolating, creates a challenges for LOCs to to operate, particularly with regard to upcoming AGMs.
LOCSU can support all LOCs to meet via the use of Microsoft Teams. The Optical Leads team will be able to support LOCs regionally and at no additional cost to the LOC. A member of the team will contact each LOC to discuss the options and help support next steps.
The LOCSU Optical Leads are:
- East of England: Zoe Richmond (interim)
- London: Richard Rawlinson
- Midlands: Richard Rawlinson
- North East/Yorkshire/Derbyshire: Nizz Sabir; Zoe Richmond
- North West: Tom Mackley
- South East: Helen Haslett; Max Halford; Richard Rawlinson;
- South West: Max Halford; Amar Shah; Helen Haslett